[thelist] developer ethics?

muinar muinar at gmx.net
Tue Mar 5 01:00:01 CST 2002

At 00:50 05.03.02 -0500, you wrote:

>Technically, the consultant filled the contract.  But... beyond going and
>hiring another consultant to fix the work, do you think the company should
>press the consultant to fix these issues at no extra cost or take some other
>actions?

Hi David. Depends on the price they paid.

>I have no input into this, nor will your responses alter anything that's
>going on, but I'm just curious what your feelings would be towards this
>situation.  Should independant, outside consultant approval become a norm in
>these times where companies are turning towards more and more freelancers
>instead of large consultancies?

No, I don't think this would be a solution. Bashing of fellow webdesigners
gives me a bad taste. There's almost no website where you and I couldn't
find things that can be improved. Imagine this webdesigner reacts like 'But
I saw many flaws on David's sites too, like 1., 2., 3... ' (remember your
projects from 1998?) - at the end, customers would lose confidence too, in
our profession as a whole.

It often drives me nuts when I can see how 'fellow' webdesigners come up
with bad work for a customer that could have been working with me instead.

But... Think about how cheapo webdesigners are helping us: They enable
those to
go online who can't afford more than usd 2500. After a while, they need better
solutions. They either come to a 'more professional', or at least the market
is learning from the overall experience. I'm often amazed how customers 'feel'
what is a 'professional website'. So after all, cheapo webdesigners are
helping
to broaden the market - in a few years every company has a website, like
everyone had a fax ten years ago.

(I'm coming from architecture and worked some years in that profession, where
you get strangulated by all those norms and regulations. I value the
prfessional freedom here in webdesign)

Mike