[thelist] Request for Site Critique - glasshaus

Chris Mills chrismi at glasshaus.com
Tue Mar 5 07:45:01 CST 2002

Hi there Evolters,

Chris Mills here - I've been lurking on this list for quite some time, but
never posted before - thanks for all the cool tips!

Anyway, I work for a new (web developer/designer) publishing company called
glasshaus. We have got the first release of our web site into test stage, so
I was wondering if you'd mind giving it a bit of a critique for us. You can
find it at http://www.glasshaus.com/test.

The main things I am looking for are firstly usability/accessibility issues
- we have run it through bobby, and made any necessary changes, and had a
hard think about usability...we have used CSS properties to place the
sections, rather than tables...

Also, are there any other improvements you could suggest? Cross-browser wise
it seems great in Moz, Netscape 6 and IE. Netscape 4.X/Opera seem to do
funny things to the CSS in places, but are otherwise ok functionality wise.
It even looks ok in Lynx... ;-)

Here's a tip to say thanks:

<tip author="Chris Mills" type="Sorting out Rogue MS Word Styles">
Microsoft Word can annoy even the most mellow of us, by constantly doing
strange things to styles and positioning of text. If you want to be sure of
getting rid of all styling attached to a piece of text, copy and paste it
into notepad, then copy and paste it back to word. This should get rid of
any rogue formatting that you couldn't get rid of in any other way.
</tip>

thanks in advance,

CHRIS MILLS
Commissioning Editor