[thelist] Button is not visible in Netscape Navigator

MRC webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Tue Mar 5 10:27:00 CST 2002

David,

> As you seem to be misusing it as a link I'm guessing that you don't have
> a <form> around it, form elements are required to be in a form, and some
> browsers do not render them if they are not.

    Just as a point of clarification, Netscape versions prior to 6 required
form controls to be contained within a form element. However, the HTML 4.x
recommendation does state that form controls may appear outside of a form
element [1]. The main caveat is that controls appearing outside of a form
element may not be "successful" controls, meaning that their name/values
pairs will not be submitted to the server on form submission -- which is
essentially self-evident. So, any conforming user agent should render form
controls even outside of form elements.

James Aylard

1. http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html#h-17.2.1