[thelist] developer ethics?

David Kutcher david_kutcher at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 5 12:34:08 CST 2002

> Arghhh! This hits a nerve...........developers/coders/etc are expected to
put in myriad hours to Get It Right and On Time and management doesn't >take
the time to properly vet candidates.

Not that I don't agree with your comment about the Get It Right and On Time,
but have you ever seen the resumes of your peers?  Without doing background
checks and calling up each corporation, it is sometimes very hard to know
the exact work that a potential employee actually did on a project.

An example comes to mind: I had input into the hiring process at my last
company.  I had a designer's resume come across my desk.  In it, (s)he
stated that they had done the logo for a certain company.  Turns out, I
actually knew this company, and knew who had designed the logo.  I called
him/her on it.  Their answer: they had worked with a group of people on the
logo, and that while theirs wasn't picked, they felt that their input had
contributed to the final logo.  A fact I found out later was that this
person wasn't even one of the designers on the project, but an intern that
was "giving it a shot"

So even properly vetting candidates can be difficult due to the nature of
our jobs and the teamwork that we often use.

Again, ethics are involved.

David