[thelist] returning the equiv. of rs.RecordCount with a stored procedure? (SQL7)

Chris Blessing webguy at mail.rit.edu
Tue Mar 5 12:55:00 CST 2002

That's what I'm trying to do anyhow; up until now I've had all my sql
statements that I need a RecordCount for executing from within the ASP page
itself, as opposed to being a stored procedure in SQL server.

Any ideas on how to get a recordcount AND a recordset returned from an sp?
Usually I do something like this with stored procs:

set rs = conn.execute("usp_mysp [params...]")

Thanks!

<tip type="Use stored procedures! They're much easier to maintain.">
If you do a lot of heavy ASP coding with a lot of database interaction, you
will severely cut down on your development time by using stored procedures
(if your DBMS supports them).  You will most likely find that you're using
similar queries on different pages, and as we all know that's not exactly a
pretty way to deal with debugging OR maintenance.

Do yourself a favor, step up to the stored procedure and centralize your
queries in one location!  For more information regarding stored procs and
SQL Server, check out the following:

http://www.sql-server-performance.com/stored_procedures.asp
</tip>

Chris Blessing