[thelist] XML file sizes in Flash5

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Tue Mar 5 14:34:10 CST 2002

At 6:41 AM 3/5/2, aardvark wrote:
> ok, somebody here said they had problems importing XML files
> over 20k (or so) into Flash5... can anybody verify this?

Could be... the XML functions in the Macromedia Flash Player 5 were built
atop the string functions, which were built atop older ActionScript
bytecodes. What we found after release was that people liked to send XML
data files that often were larger than the SWFs themselves, so this took
time to parse. There isn't a firm size, but data transmission and parsing
isn't instantaneous, I know that for sure.

Branden Hall later wrote a faster set of parsing routines atop existing
ActionScript:
http://chattyfig.figleaf.com/flashcoders-wiki/index.php?xmlnitro

The new Macromedia Flash Player 6 includes optimizations for both string
optimizations and particularly for parsing of large XML files... people
report an order of magnitude improvement. I believe Branden's routines have
a version-detection line so they'll be bypassed if they find themselves in
the new Player.

jd