[thelist] developer ethics?

Tara Cleveland tara at taracleveland.com
Tue Mar 5 14:44:01 CST 2002

Of course we can't call every company out of the blue with a crappy website
and tell them why their site is crappy. But the original poster said that
someone from the company had *called him* and asked for his opinion. That
person had been trying to do the research and networking.

So, if he then tells the company who has asked him for his expert opinion
that he won't comment on someone else's work, and all of the web
designers/developers contacted by the company say the same thing, then yes
it will affect the whole industry. If you had tried to go out and get the
info from other furniture repair guys and they refused to comment on anyone
else's work, and you got shafted, then you might very well blame the whole
profession and try to fix it yourself the next time.

Regards,
Tara

--
Tara Cleveland
Web Design and Consulting

> From: "Eöl" <eol1 at yahoo.com>
> Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 12:25:27 -0800 (PST)
> To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
> Subject: Re: [thelist] developer ethics?
<snip>
> I don't necessarily agree with this one.  Like *all*
> job fields, there are uneducated and uncaring workers
> that could care less about the job and only care about
> the moeny.  That doesn't sour the atmosphere at all
> though.  Going to use furniture repair for example
> (mainly because I just got a chair fixed, but anybody
> can think of numerious examples in the whole entire
> service industry).  Well I find out later from a
> friend of mine, that I was overcharge by 100%, could
> have got it fixed for half that had I looked around
> and talked to some people (networking).  Does this
> look bad upon the WHOLE ENTIRE furniture repair
> profession..nope.  Do I blame other repair guys for
> not calling me on the phone and telling me the guy is
> shoddy, nope.  I blame myself for not networking and
> researching.
>
> This is the same example as the orginal post.  If a
> client gets shoddy service, they  are not going to
> blame they entire web developement field, they are
> going to blame that contractor (and maybe the guy that
> hired him).  While sure it is our responsibility to
> educate clients and produce professional work, it is
> also our responsibility to do this in OUR WORK and
> with OUR current or prospective clients.  It is not
> (professionally or ethically) our responsibility to
> notify non-clients of bad designers especially when we
> are not involved in the issue nor do we know all the
> facts.

</snip>