[thelist] Storing Credit Card Info on a Server Securely, How?

Chris Blessing webguy at mail.rit.edu
Wed Mar 6 08:48:04 CST 2002

Instead of using a file to store the information, why not look into a
database?  You can encrypt the card numbers on the server side (as they go
into the db) after accepting the form post over an SSL connection, then
decrypt them on retrieval and send them back to the client (if your
application provides for this) over the SSL connection as well.  While it's
not completely fool-proof (your method of encryption will most likely be the
"weakest link" here) it is relatively secure as long as the web server/db
server is secure as well.

Check out this article on how to use PHP's encryption functions to get the
job done:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/php/2001/07/26/encrypt.html

Chris Blessing
webguy at mail.rit.edu