[thelist] developer ethics?

GregHolmes at aol.com GregHolmes at aol.com
Wed Mar 6 12:14:44 CST 2002

"the piper of oz" <thepiper at australia.edu> wrote:

>i'd sure rather have an applicant with a cert than
>someone who used to be a plumber or uses WYSIWYGs only.

What makes you think that someone with a cert won't use WYSIWYGs only?

Certs, or cert testing, anyway, will be sold.  You can't fail too many people and expect to keep bringing the fees in.  So it isn't too likely that a cert will exclude bad HTML creators.

As someone self-taught, sometimes this talk alarms me, a bit.  I _was_ a plumber, of sorts, in the Navy (a nuclear plumber ;) ).  Then I was tech writer, of sorts.  Now I'm a tech writer who often makes web pages.

I have seen very little connection between who has received formal training and who understands web standards, proper semantic markup, etc.  Perhaps the opposite; those who are self motivated and taught seem to be ahead of the curve, and genuinely interested in learning.

I just don't think a 'guild' would be very helpful.

Just my 2 cents.

Greg Holmes
gregholmes at aol.com