[thelist] developer ethics?

l a u r a *^* l y n c h cyberminkie at cyberwhirled.com
Wed Mar 6 14:09:00 CST 2002

At 05:53 PM 3/5/02, someone wrote:
>Now I'm kind of getting at best practices here (aagh! buzzword!). Best
>practices include coding to the spec - and choosing which spec to code to
>based on knowledge about the target audience. If we could codify some of
>those best practices, we could certify based upon them, and perhaps that
>would be of value to customers.

The flipside of all this, of course, is the client (and we've all had one)
that wants something noncompliant (read: a horrific idea that will
hopefully be banned from all specs) because he's 'seen it on this one
really cool site.'  Which goes back to something someone a few posts ago
said -- the person asked to critique doesn't really have a place to start,
because he's not aware of what the original client requests were. IOW, it's
entirely possible that the client asked for the site to be coded in [insert
WYSIWYG here] because Angie at the front desk can use that program to
update the site as needed. The critique requesting friend may disagree with
that idea, but that doesn't mean that the developer/designer is at fault,
or isn't meeting the 'spirit' of the contract. I guess what I'm trying to
get it is that critiquing is all fine and good, but be sure you know what
you're critiquing.

l a u r a *^* l y n c h
design doyen @ cyberwhirled
http://www.cyberwhirled.com