[thelist] JavaScript chunk: Internet Explorer 5.5 versus Opera 6, Netscape Navigator 4.77

Duncan O'Neill dbaxo at ihug.co.nz
Wed Mar 6 17:42:00 CST 2002

Syed,

There are two things I can see which are likely to
be causing problems with N4.x, and a third which
is a possible hiccup;

1) You have to access the <divs> and their contents
differently. You may have to do something hideous like;

document.layers['rut'].document.layers[imgName].src='whatever';

2)Netscape 4.x uses 'show' and 'hide' instead of 'visible'
and 'hidden' on  <divs>. So you need to do;

if (document.layers){visible='show';
                     hidden='hide';}
else {visible='visible';
      hidden='hidden'; }

at the top of yr script, and then you can set the visibility
properties with variables instead of strings.

3) Netscape 4.x sometimes has difficulties if the styles on the

sorry I have no ideas about Opera 6, as you give no URL.

hth,

Duncan O'Neill