[thelist] developer ethics?

Joel Canfield Joel at spinhead.com
Thu Mar 7 00:08:01 CST 2002

>What makes you think that someone with a cert won't use WYSIWYGs only?

Who designed THAT certification? I assume we're talking about some future
cert that we're in the process of designing, or at least influencing.

If the cert is designed to be meaningless or misleading, sure, it'll be
meaningless or misleading. But, c'mon, isn't there some basic logic to: I
take a test on geometry, I get a passing grade, therefore, I know something
about geometry. Maybe I'm not a teacher or an expert or even have practical
applications, but is it such a bizarre concept to think that successfully
completing an examination of some kind implies at least SOME level of
comprehension? Are we saying there's NO way to test for knowledge or
intelligence?

If we're discussing some existing certification, go right ahead and ignore
that rant. And send me the info so I can get this simple, albeit
meaningless, certification. It will look good on my resume right next to the
CAD teaching position and the 'bilingual management' position.

joel