[thelist] developer ethics?

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at COMPAQ.com
Thu Mar 7 10:01:01 CST 2002

Joel asked:

<snip>
As I see it, there are three possible stands on certification (if there
are
others, please let me know)
1. Certifications are meaningless and should be ignored.
2. Certifications show SOME level of knowledge, but should be verified
by
real-world experience or some other quantifiable element
3. Certification is all that matters; cert = skill

I, like the poster of the above quote, think it's #2. What do you think?
</snip>

Hi Joel,

I think certifications (in various fields) exist today that could fall
into any one of those three categories.

However, I'm going to agree with you on #2 - and then take a slight left
turn:

I think the issue is really one of expectations.  I think a lot of
people look at 'certification' and think that it automagically implies a
"high" level of skill - or that a series of certifications [level 3
versus level 5] can distinguish between fine gradations of skill.

Perhaps 'certification' needs an 'explanation' attribute as well as a
'name' attribute.

e.g. Does 'Automotive level 1 certification' mean someone can change the
camshaft in a formula 1 race car .... or does it mean that [most of the
time] they are qualified to repair a flat tire?  Those are fairly
different skill levels - but the 'name' of the certification doesn't
give you any clue as to the ability level.

Just a(nother) odd thought,

RonL.