[thelist] Is Java dead ? (was Evolt Hiermenus?)

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Thu Mar 7 23:48:01 CST 2002

On Mar 7, Burhan Khalid had something to say about Re: [thelist] Is Java...

>[ snip ]
> >For one thing, Java needs to have includes for the simplest of features
>
>>That's kind of the point.
>
>[ /snip ]
>
>Includes? Do you mean the Import statement?

that's what i assumed he meant.

>You can write a Java program
>without using any import statements,
>if you give the complete the complete structure to a particular class that
>you are wanting to access. Short example :
>
>import javax.swing.*;
>public class myApplication extends JFrame  { ... }
>
>OR
>
>public class myApplication extends javax.swing.JFrame { ... }
>
>If that's not what you intended to say -- then maybe I really do need to go
>to bed.

ok. but i think his original point was that java needs imported class
references in order to do most tasks. what you have above is effectively
the same thing as far as that's concerned.

he's arguing against the structure of java. IOW, importing Vector classes
rather than hving them implicitly available, similar to how languages like
PHP are.

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com