[thelist] Tricking the Search Engines

Joshua Olson joshua at alphashop.net
Fri Mar 8 11:30:00 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Morgan Kelsey" <morgan at morgankelsey.com>
Subject: Re: [thelist] Tricking the Search Engines

> yucky,
> won't that make plain old html pages have to go through the cf or asp
> server?
>
> performance =  :(

It is true--by doing the trick all HTML pages are parsed by the respective
code engine.  But, in my fantacy world, the engines are astute enough to
realize that there is no code within the files and they therefore let them
get through unscathed and without much latency.

In reality, however, I'm sure they do provide some overhead.  But, the
overhead should be fairly negligable AND the pages should be cached after
the first run-through.  Once they are in cache they *should* be no slower
than plain HTML pages.  (Notice the emphasis on should)

-joshua