[thelist] Tricking the Search Engines

Veronica Yuill veronicay at archetype-it.com
Fri Mar 8 11:52:13 CST 2002

At 12:43 08/03/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>In reality, however, I'm sure they do provide some overhead.  But, the
>overhead should be fairly negligable AND the pages should be cached after
>the first run-through.  Once they are in cache they *should* be no slower
>than plain HTML pages.  (Notice the emphasis on should)

Yes -- but is there any hard evidence that better SE rankings will result
purely by replacing .asp or .php extensions with .htm ones? This solution
still doesn't address the fact that some (not all) SEs will barf on query
strings. If your ASP page doesn't use a query string, as far as I know it
will rank no worse than an equivalent HTM page would. (Disclaimer: I'm no
SE expert, but this tallies with my experience).

Regards

Veronica Yuill                 email: veronicay at archetype-it.com
Archetype Information Technology Ltd  http://www.archetype-it.com/english/