[thelist] [TIP] Solution: Zero body margin with CSS in NN4.x

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Fri Mar 8 13:02:01 CST 2002

>A further difficulty of your approach is that if there is no Javascript in
>the browser, many functional aspects are removed from sites as well.

I'm not arguing a point by saying this, but that made me think of a
resolution I came to recently: not to worry about about people that
don't have JavaScript past putting content in <noscript> tags.

Like, you can put a warning in <h1 style="color:#ff0000"> that you
need to accept cookies for something to work and some people will
still have problems ... but has anyone here ever had to tell a user:
"It's because you need JavaScript on"? Seems to me approximately 100%
of people browsing without JS are aware of the possible ramifications.

<tip type="cafe press cookies">
cafepress.com's shopping cart requires cookies, but there's no
warning to users that don't accept cookies - their cart will simply
remain perpetually empty. As I reject cookies that are set for
something other than the originating site, I somehow was rejecting
cookies from them ... this makes it impossible to give an accurate
warning on your site for visitors like me.
</tip>

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/