[thelist] Home Networking through a single Satellite Connection

cdj chris at fuzzylizard.com
Fri Mar 8 16:25:01 CST 2002

I am going to have to assume that because it is a satellite connection
this means that your download is coming through the satellite and your
upload is going out through a modem. The only way that I know of to
share this kind of connection would be using a computer. The easiest way
would be to use win98 or win2k and turn on internet sharing. Then set
the other computers to get their IP dynamically. This should share it.

Now, if up/download are both going through the satellite or a being
handled by a single integrated "modem" of sorts, then any router should
be able to handle this type of connection.

The type of connection you have really does not matter, what is
important is the connection protocol that is being used to connect you
to the internet. If you are receiving your IP through a DHCP server at
the other end then set up the router for a cable connection, if you are
using PPPOE, then set it up for a DSL connection.

(Once again, this is based on theory so reality may vary.)

--
/chris

<www.fuzzylizard.com>