[thelist] starting script when email is received

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Fri Mar 8 18:47:01 CST 2002

On Mar 9, Daniel Farkas had something to say about [thelist] starting...

>This is the thing.
>In moment of stupidity I promissed  to my friend that he'll get his own,
>fully customizable mailing group.
>When somebody posts mail to servers's address that mail should be posted to
>all subscribers instantly.
>How can I invoke my php script on email arrival?
>Is it possible at all?
>
>I need a general solution, not one like "if you are on unix machine and mail
>server is on...".

well, it's going to depend on the OS. I dont' think you can get around
that. if you're on a *nix machine, you should be able to forward the mail
to a program like so:

create a file named .forward with something like this:

./sendmail.php

assuming you're using php as a shell script.

however, you may have to look into how the email is forwarded to the
program in order to make use of this.

hth.

--
mattwarden