[thelist] Standard File Extensions

Steve Cook steve.cook at evitbe.com
Mon Mar 11 09:49:01 CST 2002

AFAIK there is no W3C mandated reason to use one format or the other. I've
always acted on the following principle:

IIS prefers .htm (potentially other MS focussed servers)
Apache and other servers prefer .html

In the default settings for IIS once upon a time, default.htm / default.asp
was the default page to be served when surfing to a directory
(www.domain.com/directory/ )

Apache on the other hand always chose index.html first.

Nowadays it is so easy to set in the server  preferences that you can
basically choose to work from whichever you prefer or is most convenient.

Hope that helps.

.steve

   WapWarp - http://wapwarp.com
 Wap-Dev - http://www.wap-dev.net