[thelist] ADO & ad_hoc SQL (was: asp & adding db records)

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Mon Mar 11 14:35:01 CST 2002

On Mar 11, kevin D. white had something to say about Re: [thelist] ADO &...

>I figured it out.  I needed to use adOpenKeyset for the Cursor Type.
>Silly me.
>
>AddNew is slower than writing out the SQL?  I was under the
>impression from my reading that avoiding ad_hoc SQL is generally a
>good idea under ADO.  Is it slower in this case because the code has
>to return a recordset just to do an update/insert?

no. the ADO methods are really for people who don't know SQL
well. generally, if you can bypass object bloat and just pass a string (of
sql) through to the database, it will be faster. make sense?

hth,

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com