[thelist] CSS and border characteristics in IE 5.0 PC

MRC webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Tue Mar 12 14:51:01 CST 2002

Jim,

>   border-bottom:solid white 1px;

    As others have pointed out, you have specified the border properties out
of order. It should be:

border-bottom: 1px solid white ;

> In IE 5 for the PC it seems to position the border four pixels lower
> than it should.  Looks great in Netscape 6 and IE 5 for MAC.  Is this
> just a fluke with IE 5 PC or am I doing something wrong?????   Have
> done a brief search but have not seen anything that gives me any
> insight into this problem.  Any one else ever run across this?

    Also, if you correct the property order and find that IE 5/Win 32 still
displays your borders a few pixels off, it may well be that the pre-IE 6 box
model is giving you problems. That box model differed from the W3C box model
in some very important respects [1], primarily in that it places both
padding and borders _within_ the box, while the W3C box model places both of
them outside the box along with the box's margins. Notionally, that would
seem more likely to make the border appear _closer_ than it should, but it
would be hard to say without studying your code. But the first thing to fix
is the order of your border properties...

James Aylard

1.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnie60/html/cssenhancements.asp#csse
nhancements_topic3