[thelist] Programming language/database suggestions?

BT Bigpant bigpant at btinternet.com
Wed Mar 13 05:37:23 CST 2002

PHP / MySQL or PostgreSQL (if you need transactions) would be my first
choice because
a) PHP is very easy to learn compared to Perl and JSP
b) being a fairly simple database type, MySQL has a shallow learning curve
c) both PHP and MySQL are fast
d) they are also free

It depends on what your cousin is trying to achieve. If he needs complex
database procedures, Microst SQL or Oracle may the right tool, and therefore
the platform (IIS vs. Apache) may well dictate what language he will
eventually be using. If not, PHP/MySQL running on Apache on a UNIX/LINUX box
would be perfect.

I would suggest he thinks about extensibility, too. What features might he
add in the future ? Will his choice of language/database support these
features ? How easy would it be to port to a new platform ?

HTH
Phil Parker