[thelist] follow-up tup (was: Re: multicolumn soon ? (was RE: event handlers in a stylesheet?))

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 13 08:40:01 CST 2002

<stephane.deschamps at francetelecom.com>

> [tip type="white background is not a default everywhere" author="s t e
> f"] Never use white backgrounds in your OS. Choose something like a
> very light gray. This way you'll always notice when you forgot to
> specify a white background to your design.
>
> Too many people tend to forget to check that they have indeed set a
> background color, and on my machine it cruelly shows and ruins some
> designs.
>
> I've even put up a IE bookmarklet to correct that on the fly when
> looking at pages:
> javascript:void(document.body.style.background='white'); [/tip]

<tip type="testing, browsers">
Given the fact that browsers install with a default background color
of white now, it's easy to miss when you've forgotten to specify a
page color of white.  Instead of changing your OS settings for just
one or two applications, making using other apps less-than-ideal,
change the default background color of the page in the browser.

IE5.x+/win
Tools > Internet Options > General > Colors
- uncheck "Use Windows colors", set to gray

NN2.x+/win
Options > Preferences > Colors
- uncheck "Default", set to gray

NN4.x/win
Edit > Preferences > Appearance > Colors
- uncheck "Use Windows colors", set to gray

N6.x/win
Edit > Preferences > Appearance > Colors
- uncheck "Use system colors", set to gray

Opera 6.x/win
File > Preferences > Browser Look > Fonts and colors
- uncheck "Use system default", set to gray
</tip>