[thelist] CSS Question

Mark Howells mark at mountain.ch
Wed Mar 13 09:16:01 CST 2002

> "This layout fails in IE4.5/Mac. That browser has poor support for CSS
> absolute positioning, yet it recognizes and executes the CSS @import
> statement used to hide CSS from broken browsers. Currently, there is no
> known solution."

Don't know how well it will hold up, but try
<http://www.projectseven.com/extensions/info/designer/ifacecool/index.htm>
in that browser and see how you get on.

> Since this is true, from the perspective of a company which is trying to
> sell products on the web, is using CSS positioning a valid option.

> Let's assume that 1% of users are visiting their website with that browser.
> Is the value of using CSS for positioning really more valuable to a company
> than creating accessable pages to that 1% of its population?

That depends on your definition of accessible. If a site is put together
using tables and 1px spacer gifs, it's likely to be inaccessible (or at
least dreadful or unusable) in a text browser or in a browser with images
turned off. That's before we even start talking about users with mobile
devices, non-visual browsers and TV browsers. Accessibility is about letting
/all/ your visitors get at the content, without having to code twenty sets
of templates for different browsers just so you can get the same layout
across all of them.

Regards
Mark Howells
<http://www.mark.ac/evl/>