[thelist] Use of <abbr title>

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Thu Mar 14 13:37:01 CST 2002

> > > Couldn't let this pass. I have a language nazi reputation to maintain,
> > > after all. ;)
> > >
> > > I'm afraid you're not completely right.
>
> Actually Madhu is right.
>
> If it can't be pronounced as a word, it's not an
> acronym.  Whether or not most/all acronyms are also
> abbreviations (true) was not part of the original
> post.

Umm, so your opinion and Madhu's is right, while a direct quote from a
reputable dictionary like the Concise Oxford is wrong? An acronym is usually
pronounced as a word, but not necessarily. Every dictionary says the same
thing, including dictionary.com:

http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=acronym

Point to where it says it *has* to be pronounced as a word...

> Meanwhile, you owe :-)

True:

<tip type="searching evolt articles">
I've never had any success using evolt.org's search engine -- it either
returns too many articles, or none at all. If you can't remember the title
of an article, try using google instead and add 'evolt.org' to the end of
your query.
</tip>

<tip type="ssh, ftp, and macs">
MacSSH is not only a reliable ssh client for mac, but has a built in ftp
server. Connect to your linux box via ssh, then ftp back to your mac...
http://www.macssh.com/
</tip>