lower-case colour values? (was RE: [thelist] <option value= > Specifying a Font Face)

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Thu Mar 14 23:16:00 CST 2002

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, johnpeace wrote:

> > i personally prefer them in lowercase because lowercase is much
> > easier to scan and read.

...And all-lowercase makes production easier, too.

> Hm, I thought I'd read somewhere that as of HTML 4.01 we were supposed to
> make all of our tags and attributes lower case. The closest thing I could
> find on the W#C site is this,
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/intro/sgmltut.html#h-3.2.2 and it pretty much
> says attribute values are case insensitive...so, I guess you can #FCFCFC to
> your heart's content.

For HTML 4, yes.

XHTML 1 is another story.  Element and attribute names must be supplied in
lower case, as well as arguments for attributes in cases where the
argument is taken from discrete set of options.

Further, elements which in HTML 4 do not need to take arguments in order
to validate, DO need to take arguments in order to validate as XHTML 1,
e.g. hr noshade="noshade".

I might add that those quotes weren't a matter of preference, either.

--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large              Managing Editor
persist1 at io.com                  bmh at digital-web.com
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."