[thelist] <h1> tag in search engines?

Marcia Welter mhwelter at welterweb.com
Fri Mar 15 06:25:01 CST 2002

<H1> is ok for top of the page and sized in hierarchical proportion, but no
way all over and no way same sizes as body text. No how, no way! OK for
search engines to have occurrences of the company name in bold for emphasis,
it does count for a bit and is reasonably logical in case of human review
which can happen. Having H1 all over same size as body text could trip a
spam filter - some search engines have crawled stylesheets recently, meaning
they can. Alta Vista for sure, I saw it in my own logs. And Google can crawl
anything they want to. CSS and JS are currently suspect for what they call
tricks, they've been used a lot. He can disallow robots from the css files
but not a person looking and if he were cloaking he wouldn't have to do
these changes.

> easier for search engines to find.
No, it does not, links from quality (preferably high Page Rank) sites or
Yahoo or ODP make it easy to find. - but it makes it easier if the site
ranks decently for a competitor to find something to submit a spam report on
and then the client is toast.

Tables are fine as long as they're not nested too deeply, but frames are
harder to optimize for legitimately. Of course if he's gonna put in a 1
pixel frame to do some keyword stuffing or machine generated doorway page
spam_stuff, that's different. That'll fly until it gets caught up with.
Frames are generally frowned upon by the SEO community, unless it's
something like a Flash site and then "hidden" frames with legit content or
cloaking come into play. Some like them but not too many that I've ever
known.

Very often code has to be changed some for SEO work, but it doesn't pay to
take risks unless it's a throw-away domain name, and there's plenty of that
done. And plenty of sites penalized. A Google rep who goes by the handle
GoogleGuy (he's the real thing, search at Google) has stated they've rolled
back on spam filters because of the number of Moms and Pop's who got hurt
with all the recent penalties. But from what I gather that was linking
related, to manipulate Page Rank. Anything done to trick search engines or
artificially manipulate rankings can result in banning or losing all Page
Rank which means the site may as well not even be listed. There are very
sophisticated SEOs who know loads of methodologies and have the expertise to
do them but this is outdated and too easy to get spotted for.

Get a disclaimer for yourself that you're not responsible for rankings if
code is changed and don't get ulcers over it.

Sorry to go off, I ended up looking at some fancy maneuvering this week and
I'm more stuck than ever on plain vanilla cowardly optimization.

Marcia Welter