[thelist] Rules for CSS Style Names

Hardacker, Andrew Andrew.Hardacker at Compuware.com
Fri Mar 15 10:32:01 CST 2002

Straight from the source:

"In CSS2, identifiers  (including element names, classes, and IDs in
selectors) can contain only the characters [A-Za-z0-9] and ISO 10646
characters 161 and higher, plus the hyphen (-); they cannot start with a
hyphen or a digit."

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/syndata.html#q4

-----Original Message-----
From: clive at imageassociates.com [mailto:clive at imageassociates.com]
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 11:14 AM
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: [thelist] Rules for CSS Style Names

Very quick questions. I was just running a style sheet through the W3C's CSS
Validation Service and it returned a "parse error" on three styles. The only
thing I see in common is that they all contain an underscore in the style
name. Is this a problem for browsers or just for the validator?

I did a quick search for rules on naming styles and couldn't find anything.
Can anyone suggest an online reference?

Thanks.

Clive Sweeney
clive at imageassociates.com