[thelist] Rules for CSS Style Names

Hardacker, Andrew Andrew.Hardacker at Compuware.com
Fri Mar 15 11:19:01 CST 2002

Yes, James, you're right. I vaguely recall the amendment but I more clearly
remember going through hell with this in Netscape 6.0, which I was required
to support. We discovered that banning the underscores eliminated our
problems. Even where permitted, some implementations seemed to simply ignore
characters after the first underscore. So the "heading_red" and
"heading_blue" were not invalid but were seen as just "heading". And general
hilarity ensued.

Thanks for the refresher.

<snip>
> "In CSS2, identifiers  (including element names, classes, and IDs in
> selectors) can contain only the characters [A-Za-z0-9] and ISO 10646
> characters 161 and higher, plus the hyphen (-); they cannot start with a
> hyphen or a digit."
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/syndata.html#q4

    True, except that this was amended in the CSS 2 errata document last
year to include underscores [1].
1. http://www.w3.org/Style/css2-updates/REC-CSS2-19980512-errata.html#x3
2. http://developer.netscape.com/evangelism/docs/technotes/css-underscores/
</snip>