[thelist] Dots (.) in image file names

Magnus Østergaard magnus at slackware.adsl.dk
Fri Mar 15 11:25:00 CST 2002

Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:

> If yes, is it really a way to prevent the illegal use of images? Can I
> rename images on my site with two or three dots (like image.any.jug) for
> the same purpose?

You can name your images what ever you like. The program /OS should look
at the file and not the name.

Since Windows looks at the file name, and .file names are much easier to
remember even if you use Linux/UN*X. I'd stick to .jpg .png etc. when
naming files.

To me all the CNN images seems fine, using Netscape 4.77.

On Linux there is a program called "file" that determine file type. On
Windows you could just open the file in a text editor and the first line
will say what kind of images it is. (If it is an image :-)

.gif will have GIF, .png PNG, and .jpg JFIF somewhere in the file.

As others have said, changing file name will not stop people from
copying you images.

--
Magnus Østergaard

"If you can find ANYONE who agrees with me 100% on everything
 then... well... you've found _me_"