[thelist] real men code by hand...

Jason Lotito jason at clockmedia.com
Sun Mar 17 11:14:01 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "aardvark" <roselli at earthlink.net>
> if i were on a Mac, it'd be simpletext...  when i was *nix, it was Emacs
> (although i dabbled in vi)...
>
> > someone else, dependent on a tag completion editor, say, who is forced
> > to use notepad (come on, work with me here) might forget to close all
> > his tags
> >
> > there are any number of notepad-like editors (i personally use
> > something called pfe) and i don't think anyone, even aardvark, is
> > actually saying to use *only* notepad
>
> no, i would never propose that... i know that notepad is a good way to
neuter
> a developer, but i've becomed so accustomed to it, that for 90% of my
tasks,
> it never slows me up...
>
> i do not like color-coding, though... requires too much customization to
get it
> to look right, and it makes me start to get lazy on code formatting...

Code formatting? Color coding has nothing to do with formatting code?  Okay,
granted, I am more a programmer than a designer, but in my case, I have a
very clear solution.

Notepad is merely a tool.  Frankly, I don't care what tool a
developer/designer uses.  There is an end result that needs to be
accomplished.  Notepad doesn't make you a good coder as much as Homesite
with color coding makes you a bad coder.

I tell all my programmers to use the tools they are comfortable with, and
for some that means using Homesite, Editplus, vi, or whatever.  They have a
goal, an assignment, and they need to finish this assignment in time.  The
end result doesn't change, how they get there may.  So if they choose to use
Notepad, that is fine.  I frankly don't care.  What I care about is the end
result.

If they do everything in FrontPage and the end result is the cleanest and
best code I have seen, great for them.  I am going to continue to do things
my way.

The argument of whether WYSIWYG is "professional" or not or "real men code
by hand" is an egotistical approach to a field littered with "experts" and
"guru's" who talk a lot but say very little.

The point, "Do what you need to do to get the job done. If the end result is
what the client wanted, does it really matter than you did all your coding
on [Insert Environment Here]"

Jason Lotito
www.newbienetwork.net