[thelist] real men code by hand...

Olly gnarly at punkass.com
Mon Mar 18 04:14:01 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eike Pierstorff" <eike.p at t-online.de>
Subject: RE: [thelist] real men code by hand...

> Dreamweaver sometimes 'forgets' to remove code that is no longer needed
> when you change the site, you have to remove it with a text editor. But
> maybe that's just me, I never learned to use DW properly.

Thats the joy of DW 4. You can have the code and the design (wysiwyg) views
open together, so you can always see whats going on. If it writes bad HTML
for you, you can dive in head first and fix it. I like DW because it lets me
get on with the designing side of things. I'm not naturally a programmer,
and the code DW produces for me is generally good, and when its not, it isnt
so bad its unrescuable, unlike some programs I could mention :-)

That said, it takes a fair bit of experience to get the best from it, and
having a working knowledge of HTML and CSS makes life one hell of a lot
easier. The only real bloat problem with DW is its JS (behaviours) code,
which tends to be about 1,000,000x bigger than it needs to be :-(

> But I guess you can do well-coded sites with DW, especially since it
> shipped with a text editor (I don't know if this is still true but it
> used to be).

I believe the PC version comes with HomeSite and the Mac version comes with
a demo of BBEdit. And I always like to run through the code myself and make
sure its all OK. - and the twin view where you have the code and wysiwyg
views open together lets you keep an eye on everything :-)

Olly.