[thelist] Downloadable fonts : good idea ?

Androse Rosewood auguste at mac.com
Mon Mar 18 08:31:01 CST 2002

Hello,

I remember a few years ago (when the 4.5 browsers came out I belive),
downloadable fonts seemed to be a very promising feature.

At the time, I remember never using them because:
- too little people had 4.5 browsers,
- you had to implement the Microsoft *and* the Netscape/Monotype solutions,
- bandwidth restrictions would not allow you to download more than 2
or 3 fonts at a time,
- font copyright problems.

But what about it today ?
Very little people have browser versions previous to 4.5, I now feel
comfortable  sniffing the user agent to fork between IE and NS, and
bandwidth issues are not as bad as they used to be.

So why aren't people using this feature more often ?
Does somebody have any information regarding the licencing fees for
downloadable fonts ?
Have you ever used this feature in a professionnal project ?

Thanks.