[thelist] Best Magazines?

Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com
Mon Mar 18 10:34:01 CST 2002

> |> www.computerarts.co.uk
>
>> My goodness--$100/year? Is it really worth it?
>
>yes.
>(:
>
>Each one comes with a CD, and they often get really good trial or 'lite'
>version of software other places don't.

And sometimes they offer complete, as opposed to demo, versions of
software. Except those offers are only for people living in the UK, a
limitation they steadfastly refuse to tell you about (and which is shared
among *all* the magazines in that particular chain). Rather slimy, in my
opinion. (Can you tell I've been burned by that particular deceptive
practice?)

I used to buy them frequently off the newsstand. I find now I do it less
and less. That could be because I've now progressed to the point where it's
difficult to find something I don't know that I'm interested in learning,
but somehow I doubt that. I think more likely it's that the CD's contain
less and less useful new material (as opposed to the 17th demo copy of
dreamweaver or flash) and that the tutorials all tend to be variations on a
theme. They've also been shifting to be a little more Windows-centric in
their sample CD's, which bugs me.

They have a series of "specials" (4 per year) that I pay more attention to.
The Web Design special from this year is the first one I didn't buy; I
still buy every Photoshop special that comes out.

One of their sister magazines, Create Online, seemed like a great idea
until I saw it; it seemed to contain profile after profile of UK designers,
and blessed little else. Lots of "this is what they did;" precious little
"this is how they did it." For *that* they want $14?

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224

Arlen.P.Walker at JCI.Com