[thelist] IE PNG Support

Kevin p+evolt at redbrick.dcu.ie
Mon Mar 18 15:19:01 CST 2002

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 10:11:54PM +0100, Nick Wilson wrote:
> * and then Kevin declared....
> > We'd be able to do some cool stuff if it was supported properly and i'm
> > wondering how long i'll have to wait. (:

> > http://home.tephras.com/temp/PNG/
> > for PNG fun and frolics.

> I've just seen the images and they really are rather neat but I can't
> figure out what the difference/point is? They certainly look high
> quaility but I can't work out why.

> Cany you explain Kevin?

Oh, sorry, I assumed people knew the deal with PNGs.

Apart from being a lossless image format like gif, they support transparency.
Not just single colour transparency like gifs, but alpha channel.

This means you can have proper gradients fading to backgrounds/other images
etc... that you otherwise couldn't have.

Adding to that all the stuff we can now do with CSS, layer transparency could
be really cool.  At present we just have to make sure everything's lined up.

Take a look at them in IE and then Netscpae 6.
(:

- Kevin