[thelist] Re: thelist digest, Vol 1 #2138 - 18 msgs

katherine kbjork at attbi.com
Tue Mar 19 18:29:00 CST 2002

That said, newer browsers ignore the font size "lock" anyway ã namely
IE6+,
NN6+ and nearly all Mac browsers.

  As a MAC user embracing a number of platforms (PC too), a vast variety
of browsers and several operating systems I haven't not found the mac to
ignore fonts specified as pixels unless the user has the browser set up
to override stylesheets.

One of the most important reasons to use pixels, aside from the control
it does give you, is in regard to the sight impaired.

When I attended a usability conference in Seattle, about a year or so
ago, everyone to a T said use pixels to set fonts because the readers
used to read web pages handled this better.

While that was late in 2000, nothing has changed since then. Sure the
browsers are more bloated and we have new code to play with, but
technology hasn't changed anything where pixels are concerned.

I don't see use of pixels is a font lock especially as the user can
overide style sheets or simply choose to have the browser render larger
or smaller.

Why not use points? because points size varies widely, not only from how
it is rendered from browser to browser, and from platform to platform,
but also from font to font. Points are not "set" sizes. 72 points in one
font is not the same as 72 points in another font. Go to a library get a
book on typography if you don't believe it.

Why not just let be and not set a font size at all?

Pros n cons there. I can't design to please everyone, so I try to be
consistent and design for a general audience with the full understanding
that any person in that audience can and will over-ride my style sheets.

So if one can over-ride it, why try to set a standard for viewing at all?

why get up in the morning when you'll just have to go to bed again
tonight? Why cross the street if you know there is a possibility you
could be run over. Why wash your hair when its just going to be dirty
tomorrow?

Its all about putting your best foot forward and trying to get the most
for your mileage.

Will you please everyone? will you always have great hair days?