[thelist] Lotus Notes web development

Shashank Tripathi sub at shanx.com
Wed Mar 20 00:06:01 CST 2002

Mark,

    > Further to my SQL query can someone please point me to some
    > resources on web programming in lotus notes? I know next to
    > nothing about notes.

Been a while since I dabbled in Notes but I assume you are talking about the
Domino server? Given the popularity (or otherwise!) of their platform for
development, your best bet on the net for relevant information would most
likely be their own "Developer Network"
(http://www.lotus.com/home.nsf/welcome/developernetwork) or Notes.net
(http://www.notes.net).

    > 2) Can I use the notes browser as a front end for another
    > application which I'm told is SQL based.(happens to be an
    > accounting package)

I am not sure what you mean by Notes browser. Please tell us a bit more
about your environment? Since you mention PHP, I assume that you are after
DOmino server.

    > 3)  Any difficulties in access a notes database from php?

I think you can do this fairly easily through the ODBC-JDBC bridge called
NotesSQL.
http://www.lotus.com/developers/devbase.nsf/homedata/homensql

I would also recommend you to take a look at this:
http://p2p.wrox.com/content/phpref/tables/128.asp

(I am not sure if these functions would work already, but it sounded
useful).

Cheers
Shashank