[thelist] double-you double-you double-you

DESCHAMPS Stéphane DvSI/SICoR stephane.deschamps at francetelecom.com
Wed Mar 20 04:06:01 CST 2002

> I was always under the impression that the 'www.' prefix
> wasn't required
> when loading web addresses (certainly in IE PC), that I could
> just type
> evolt.org into the address bar and off it went.  But now I've
> come across a
> client site that NEEDS the 'www.' before it can be found.  I
> assume that
> this is caused by a scrappy setup by the host SP, and it's
> probably the same
> for every site being hosted by them.  What's involved in
> this, just in case
> I can convince the SP to do it for us?

Simple, just associate the same virtual host in Apache's httpd.conf to
www.thisdomain.com and thisdomain.com... (I guess the same is possible in
every type of server)

Maybe the DNS should be checked too. Can you ping thisdomain.com ? iIf so
you just have to change the web server's conf...

Most often it's a simple matter of server administration...