[thelist] double-you double-you double-you

Megan megan at myself.com
Wed Mar 20 13:23:03 CST 2002

In another twist on the "www" issue, it's possible to get creative with your
URL's and maybe turn a web weakness into a plus.

A few years ago I did a web site for a company who had a cool double-G logo.
The marketing manager at the time had an idea to run advertising that both
emphasized their G logo and made the company look innovative, so they ran a
bunch of ads with "ggg.the-company's-name.com", and we had our hosting
service set it up to work in addition to the usual
"www.the-company's-name.com" and the plain "the-company's-name.com".  It
worked because their target customers were  engineers, who were intrigued by
things that don't "follow the rules".  There were several emails from people
who would write to tell us that we had made a mistake, and then they would
be amazed when we would tell them to just try it anyway!

Regards,

Megan Lostroh

P.S.  I'm out of the web design business now, but I read this list to stay
sharp, just in case I want to go back to it.  I am constantly amazed at the
intelligence of the people on this list.  Keep up the great posts!

If there were fan clubs for web developers, I think I would like to join the
ones for Martin Burns and Anthony Baratta.

Message: 1