[thelist] English -> Chinese translation in PHP?

Ray Hill lists at prydain.com
Wed Mar 20 15:32:01 CST 2002

> Anyone know of anything in PHP that is capable of
> translation?  Got a client who is looking for it,
> especially english to chinese, and preferably in
> PHP as that's my lingo of choice :)

I don't know of anything within PHP itself, but there is a related
trick you might get a kick out of.  Just use PHP to determine the
current URL, URL-encode it, and pass it as an argument to Google,
letting their translation engine take over from there.

Obviously, this isn't something you'd want to use for a large
professional site, but it's a decent was of getting an approximate
translation.  You can see it at work here (top, right hand side
drop-down):

http://prydain.com/

--ray

NOTE: Chinese & Japanese are apparently isn't working this way
anymore.  Either that or I don't have the right fonts installed.
Still, it's kind of a cool method, so there you have it.