[thelist] Receving HTML email

Jane Williams jane at williams.nildram.co.uk
Thu Mar 21 04:48:00 CST 2002

Michael Galvin <mgalvin at sourcevisualthinking.ie> wrote :

> Is there anything else I should be concerned about?

One potential problem that's only really been brought home to me since I joined this list. When away from home (like in lunchtime), I read my email through a web interface. It's pretty limited in what it can do, but it does its best to interpret any HTML sent at it within the confines of the rest of the web page. Which can get very "interesting" if someone's sent a pretty layout that clashes with the rest of the page, and very frustrating when you guys are posting HTML code to look at, and this thing is interpreting it instead of showing it as text :(. I can "view source", I can wait till I get home, but reading and replying through this really isn't an option.

I'd guess that plenty of other people read mail through web interfaces from time to time, though I have no idea how many. Some email accounts are intended to be read that way. And then you'd have the cross-browser problem as well as the site interface being variable .... :(