[thelist] Squashing PDFs. 3700 files, 40% smaller?

Moe Rubenzahl moe at maxim-ic.com
Thu Mar 21 17:48:00 CST 2002

I have 860 MB of PDF files I need to fit on a CD-ROM. There are 3700
files. There is other content for the CD, so I need to get them down
to 520 MB (a net reduction of 40%). Willing to lose some quality to
do this.

A few thoughts and questions come to mind.

- First thought is to reduce the graphic compression levels. These
PDFs were generated over a period of years by different people and I
am sure the compression settings vary. I am thinking some minimal
level of compression applied to the whole batch might get me there --
which probably includes downsampling and change of compression level.

Is there an easy way to do this in batch? Can Distiller, for
instance, munch on a bunch of PDF files and re-distill them? Or is
there another tool that can?

- All the files have fonts included but they are all the same fonts.
I don't suppose there is a way to capitalize on this redundancy.

- Some of the PDFs are of old data sheets and are full-page scans.
Any thoughts on ways that can improve that aspect?

- The files are a mix of Acrobat 3 and 4; would making them all 4 (or 5?) help?

- Any other tricks or ideas?