[thelist] RS.eof and RS.bof (ASP)

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Fri Mar 22 11:08:01 CST 2002

hope you guys don't mind me butting in here (i am *so* not an ASP
developer), but isn't the question what to do when there are no records
returned from a query?

josh's first try (which he said wasn't working) was

   if not rs.BOF and rs.EOF

josh then fixed it himself --

   if not rs.BOF and NOT rs.EOF

jay suggested --

   if NOT (rs.BOF AND  NOT rs.EOF)

and darren offered --

   if not (rs.BOF and rs.EOF)

please don't get mad at me, but does anyone else think this whole thing is
a bit comical?

where's the test to see if the recordset is empty?

it sounds like you guys are working on an old mainframe rewindable mag tape
system (i should know, because i did)

BOF = beginning of file, EOF = end of file, right?

and you are trying to find the right test to see whether something can be
beginning and end at the same time? one or the other but not both? one but
not the other? either or?  not (one and the other)? one and not the other?

the mind boggles

this reminds me of the quote attributed to einstein, asked if he had only
an hour to save the world, what would he do, apparently replied something
like "spend the first fifty minutes analyzing the problem"

i can't find that quote, though, so it could just be my imagination

however, a few google searches later, i did find the phrase "defining the
problem" in a web-related article, which admittedly is very old (as web
articles go) but which still looks okay, so i'll offer it as a tip for
poking fun at the ASP guys above...

<tip type="web design">

an oldie but a goodie --

  Timeless Principles of Design
  Four steps to designing a killer Web site
  By Clement Mok and Vic Zauderer
  http://www.webtechniques.com/archives/1997/04/mok/

</tip>

rudy