[thelist] RS.eof and RS.bof (ASP)

Joshua Olson joshua at alphashop.net
Fri Mar 22 19:43:01 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Feingold Josh S" <Josh.S.Feingold at irs.gov>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Subject: RE: [thelist] RS.eof and RS.bof (ASP)

> I hate when I answer my own questions right after I hit send.  I did spend
> some time working on it, before I sent the email, though.
>
> The correct format is:
>
> <% if not rs.BOF and NOT rs.EOF then %>

Don't feel too bad, there are actually more than one way to represent the
same logic.  Even someone else who responded gave an incorrect answer!

D'Morgan's law also indicates that you can do an associative type
transformation to the logic you have above, resulting in:

If NOT (rs.BOF OR rs.EOF) Then ...

The law states that you can always move the negation outside the parenthesis
from before each boolean and swap the operator from OR to AND or visa versa.

Examples:

NOT (this OR that) == NOT this AND NOT that
NOT (this AND that) == NOT this OR NOT that

ref:

http://www.mc.edu/courses/csc/110/module5_3.html
http://www.math.csusb.edu/notes/sets/setsex4/setsex4.html
http://www.ece.nwu.edu/~moshovos/courses/B01/doc/week2x2.pdf