[thelist] navigation through form posting

David Kutcher david_kutcher at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 24 15:21:01 CST 2002

> surely you jest, right?
>
> how about javascript capable browser, but javascript is disabled for
reasons ranging from being tired of the javascript pop-under windows that
have become so popular for ads to security concerns, real or not?

Disabling javascript, which the vast majority of sites on the internet use?
The MAJORITY of major sites on the internet use javascript.  I fail to see
why a site should cater to people that realize the choice they made to
disable javascript bars them from effectively using sites such as hotmail,
cnn, nytimes, and thousands of others.

> what do you do about people that are behind firewalls that strip
javascript?  not a whole lot they can do even if they've got js enabled eh?
Can you please point me to a firewall product that strips javascript?

> what if i don't have a browser on my machine, but i've got telnet or ssh?
so, i connect to another machine and crank up an instance of lynx.  no
> javascript there.
A hypothetical.  If you are browsing like the millions of other people on
the Internet and are not stuck ONLY on a *nix workstation, you browse with
IE.  Sorry to state a sad fact.

> then let's talk about accessing your content with something other than a
browser.  how many handheld devices have javascript?  ie for windows ce
device doesn't count.  that leaves you with a big fat zero currently.

Yes, I'm certain that some user is going to go to your site with a WAP
handheld to view your content and pay $1.95/minute.  That's the purpose of
style sheets, xml, and xslt.  If you plan on providing content where
different devices will need to access your site, you make your site
available to those users.  Does your personal homepage need to be WAP
accessible?  Highly doubtful.

> however, i don't think that's the method tony was talking about though.
he was referring to something more like expediamaps.com has.  try getting
some driving directions and bookmarking the page.  it can't be done.
However, you CAN bookmark yahoo maps with their exceptionally long url
strings.

David
www.confluentforms.com