[thelist] navigation through form posting

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 24 16:25:01 CST 2002

> From: "David Kutcher" <david_kutcher at hotmail.com>
[...]
> Disabling javascript, which the vast majority of sites on the internet
> use? The MAJORITY of major sites on the internet use javascript.  I
> fail to see why a site should cater to people that realize the choice
> they made to disable javascript bars them from effectively using sites
> such as hotmail, cnn, nytimes, and thousands of others.

i don't use hotmail, but it doesn't keep me from using CNN or the NYTimes...
as i said in my other email, if i can't use a site, i go to its nearest
competitor... i won't turn on JS just because some developer thinks it's the
best way for everyone else to surf...

> > what do you do about people that are behind firewalls that strip
> javascript?  not a whole lot they can do even if they've got js
> enabled eh? Can you please point me to a firewall product that strips
> javascript?

i may be able to answer this, because i know a couple companies that strip
it... i'll have to check, but there are some 400 people total who don't see JS at
all...  half of them (IIRC) bought online this year for xmas...

[...]
> so, i connect to another machine and crank up an instance of lynx.  no
> > javascript there. A hypothetical.  If you are browsing like the
> millions of other people on the Internet and are not stuck ONLY on a
> *nix workstation, you browse with IE.  Sorry to state a sad fact.

doesn't mean that you throw away the other million+ people who aren't using
IE...  it is a sad fact, but it isn't the only one...

[...]
> Yes, I'm certain that some user is going to go to your site with a WAP
> handheld to view your content and pay $1.95/minute.  That's the

most of the folks i know surf off their cellphones... what's nice is none of the
sites i've built has slowed them in any way... i've been *thanked* for making
pages that they thought were optimized for their device... kinda like evolt.org...

> purpose of style sheets, xml, and xslt.  If you plan on providing
> content where different devices will need to access your site, you
> make your site available to those users.  Does your personal homepage
> need to be WAP accessible?  Highly doubtful.

doesn't need to be, but it is....

thing is, why would i want to make more templates for devices just because of
my reliance on JS when one template *can* handle it...  CSS, XML, and XSLT
aren't requirements in that... good ol' HTML that's well-coded is...

> he was referring to something more like expediamaps.com has.  try
> getting some driving directions and bookmarking the page.  it can't be
> done. However, you CAN bookmark yahoo maps with their exceptionally
> long url strings.

which i appreciate...  but there are too many sites that don't do that... it would
bother me more if there weren't always some other site i could go to in order
to get/buy the same info/stuff...