[thelist] flash: preloading before actually loading

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Mon Mar 25 14:05:00 CST 2002

What you can do is make sure you give the visitor something to look
at/read and move the loadMovie() actions after that point, but before
they're needed - load them into MovieClips with this action attached:

onClipEvent(load) {
   this._visible = false
}

Then when you need to use the clips, set their _visible to true.

Another way would to be to use attachMovie() instead of loadMovie() -
but then you have less control over the loading order - which is a
problem unless the clips are very small filesize wise.

>i want to set up a preloader which loads at the
>beginning of the movie, but unfortunately 90% of the
>swf's dont even get loaded until like 10 frames later,
>so I would have to have an initial preload, and then
>either a second preload or else have little preloaders
>going all over the place, which is obviously not
>desirable. Is there a way to preload an swf and check
>for it without actually loading it into the _root?

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/