[thelist] Age checking (was: targeting effectively)

Jon Haworth jhaworth at witanjardine.co.uk
Mon Mar 25 15:29:00 CST 2002

Hi Martin,

> Problem 1 - for legal reasons, we need to ensure that
> all users have passed a self-certification of age and
> country of residence before they can see the site (it
> was an alcohol site, but this could have been true for
> a number of sectors)

I'm curious about this - I've just been approached to do a site that sells
wine online...

I'm assuming the self-certification is simply a case of redirecting people
without the cookie to a page that says "Please click this button to confirm
you are over the age of 18", which then posts a form, sets the cookie, and
allows the user to go about the business of getting virtually pissed - am I
on the mark?

>From what you say above, it sounds like you do it at the point of entry to
the site as a whole, but would it be equally effective/valid at the point
where they're about to start putting booze into a shopping cart?

Any particular wording you'd recommend, or other points to consider?

Cheers
Jon