[thelist] ADA guidelines (was: targeting effectively)

Hardacker, Andrew Andrew.Hardacker at Compuware.com
Mon Mar 25 15:54:00 CST 2002

<snip>
Secondly, If I am in this building and I hire a person with a disability...
lets say they are wheelchair bound.  If I hire them, is it my problem, the
building owner's problem, or the employee's problem that they can't make it
up the stairs?

And if I make a product that only works on IE 5.5, and an employee comes and
says "well, I only use lynx", does that mean I am liable for not providing
them with a lynx-ready version?
</snip>

This from the FAQ at Job Accommodation Network, a service of the U.S.
Department of Labor
Office of Disability Employment Policy http://janweb.icdi.wvu.edu/

#5: What is reasonable accommodation? In relation to the ADA, reasonable
accommodation is any modification or adjustment to a job or the work
environment that will enable a qualified applicant or employee with a
disability to participate in the application process or to perform essential
job functions. Reasonable accommodation also includes adjustments to assure
that a qualified individual with a disability has rights and privileges in
employment equal to those of employees without disabilities. JAN Consultants
CAN provide callers with various accommodation solution ideas for a specific
situation. JAN consultants cannot tell callers what is reasonable for a
specific situation but are able to provide guidance regarding the ADA's
definition of reasonable accommodation from the EEOC, the enforcing agency
for the ADA, and the courts.

So, it would seem that the employer may well be obligated to make
accommodation, be it a ramp for an employee who uses a wheelchair, or a text
reader for someone who is visually impaired.

I trust that your reluctance to accept the ADA guidelines is for the sake of
argument only, not because you don't give a damn about people with
disabilities.

On the other hand, Sandra Day O'Connor apparently isn't a fan of the ADA
either.
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A29110-2002Mar14.html>

And last but not least, 2001's Wackiest Employment Lawsuits:
<http://www.law.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/AppLogic%20FTContentServer?pagename=law/V
iew&c=Article&cid=ZZZGX58HVKC&live=true&cst=1&pc=0&pa=0&s=News&ExpIgnore=tru
e&showsummary=0>

Andy Hardacker